The University has secured further Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) extending its duration to 31st March 2022.
The EPSRC IAA supports knowledge exchange and the delivery of impact from the outputs of on-going or completed EPSRC funded research.
It is designed to support engagement with external non-academic partners which could include national and international businesses, public and third sector organisations, or community bodies.
The emphasis is on delivering impact in ways that work. It provides flexible funding that can be deployed rapidly to seize opportunities as they arise.
Funding for projects is available through an open competition. The deadline for the current call is:
5pm Wednesday 26th May 2021
Due to the limited funds available any further EPSRC IAA calls will be dependent on the level of funding awarded in the May 21 call.
The objectives of the IAA fund are to:
- promote innovation and knowledge exchange (KE) through bi-directional transfer of people in the form of secondments
- facilitate an increase in early stage commercialisation of research outputs
- engage, build and enhance relationships with business and industry
- promote and further develop our impact culture across the academic community and drive awareness of the mechanisms supporting, and the importance of, impactful research
EPSRC expects that the IAA will be used to support impact emerging from a body of research undertaken over a significant period.
Multiple funders may have been involved in this body of research but the applicant must be able to demonstrate a connection between IAA expenditure and funding previously awarded by EPSRC.
The EPSRC expects an effective IAA to:
- build on a base of high quality EPSRC-funded research
- enhance exploitation of the outputs of EPSRC-funded research
- utilise an appropriate range of approaches
- involve real user engagement and build on relationships with potential partners
- enable a flow of people who are equipped with useful skills and knowledge
- position the University in the regional and national innovation landscapes
- promote equality, diversity and inclusion
- encourage a culture of Responsible Innovation and promote the use of the AREA framework