International funding – US Government

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

NIH is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services and is the nation’s medical research agency.

NIH supports international research on the basis that it provides special opportunities for furthering research programs through unusual talents, resources, populations, or environmental conditions not available in the US, or that augment existing US resources.

Academics who want to apply to an NIH grant should speak to the relevant programme officer assigned to the call. They will give you specific guidance on eligibility, and tell you whether you meet the criteria for applying to NIH as a foreign investigator. You should do this before submitting an application.

All US Federal grant funding opportunities are advertised through You can find out if you are eligible to apply as a UK-based researcher by looking at individual call guidelines.

UKRI-NSF lead agency agreements

In 2018, the National Science Foundation (NSF) and UKRI signed an MOU, which initiated a series of lead agency agreements between the UK research councils and the various divisions of NSF. This means that academics who want to fund a bilateral UK-US project only need to apply to one funding agency (either NSF or a UK research council, depending on where the majority of the research lies).


NIH funding opportunities

Internal University guidelines for managing a live NIH or US FederalĀ award