NB: From 04/07/2022 all new ethics submissions and amendment submissions to the AREA FREC should be submitted through the Electronic Ethics Review Management System (Infonetica). For details please refer to the AREA specific guidance page.
A favourable opinion from a recognised ethics committee is needed before the research can start.
The ethical review process is normally completed within six weeks.
Standard ethical review form and guidance
AHC ethical review form
Application form for proportionate ethics review (for projects with minimal ethical issues)
Application form for block approval (to be completed by module leaders for a number of similar projects carried out by students within a taught module). Background and guidance for module leaders and supervisors.
Template Taught Student Declaration Form for taught student modules (for use at School or Module level)
Template AHC Module Level Ethics Review Form (MLERF)
Applications should be submitted via email. Each committee has its own mailbox:
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures: AHCresearchethics@leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Biological Sciences: FBSResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Business: ResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences: EPSResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Environment: ResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Medicine
- Dentistry: J.K.McDermott@leeds.ac.uk
- Healthcare: FMHUniEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Medicine: FMHUniEthics@leeds.ac.uk
- Psychology: Use the Psychology SharePoint ethics site.
- Faculty of Social Sciences: ResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk
Tips for speeding up the review process
- Answer all the questions on the application form.
- Sign the form. Electronic signatures are acceptable or alternatively you could email a scanned PDF of the signed form.
- If you are a student, one of your supervisors needs to check and sign the form before it is submitted.
- Include any relevant supporting material with your application (eg recruitment materials, participant information sheets, consent forms, questionnaires, interview topic guides, data management plans, authorised risk assessments).