University ethical review
NB: From 04/07/2022 all new ethics submissions and amendment submissions to the AREA FREC should be submitted through the Electronic Ethics Review Management System (Infonetica). For details please refer to the AREA specific guidance page.
The University ethical review process is normally completed within six working weeks. If at all possible, try to avoid submitting applications during the summer months when committee members are away.
Which application form to use?
- Application form for University ethical review and guidance notes (staff and students)
- Short application form – an alternative form. Applicants are welcome to use this form as an alternative to the usual form. Feedback would be welcome and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form for proportionate (light touch) ethical review (all Faculties except Medicine and Health). NB: To speed up the review of a proportionate application please ensure that all relevant supporting documentation (i.e. information sheets, consent forms, interview/ questionnaire questions) is also submitted for review.
- Guidance to help you complete the application form
- Application form for block approval – to be completed by the module leader – for a number of similar projects carried out by students within a taught module. Background and guidance for module leaders and supervisors.
- Generic Taught Student Declaration Form for taught student modules (for use at School or Module level)
- AHC Module Level Ethics Review Form (MLERF)
- Applying for an amendment
Applications should be submitted via email. Each committee has its own mailbox.
If you have any questions about the review process please contact a member of the Research Ethics team via the relevant mailbox above.
- University Guidance on Identifying Ethical Issues
- Research ethics training courses
- Guidance on fieldwork Risk Assessments and DBS checks
- Background and guidance for module leaders and supervisors.
- Tips for Supervisors
Creating your informed consent documents
- Guidance on preparing the participant information sheet
- Example participant consent form and low risk form.
Tips for speeding up the review process
- Answer all the questions on the application form.
- Sign the form. Electronic signatures are acceptable or alternatively you could email a scanned PDF of the signed form.
- If you are a student, one of your supervisors needs to check and sign the form before it is submitted.
- Include any relevant supporting material with your application (e.g. participant information sheet, consent form, recruitment poster).
- Complete the applicant checklist.
Externally funded research
For externally funded project ethical review is usually undertaken once funding has been secured but before a project starts. Ethical review can be arranged at the application stage if your funder requires this. KRISTAL should be updated accordingly.
We are always keen to know how you think we are performing as a service. If we are doing well, or you have any complaints about the service, please do let us know by emailing ResearchEthics@leeds.ac.uk. Suggestions for improvement are also welcome.