Academics requiring letters in support of their research grant applications, where the funder requires an institutional level signatory, should follow the guidelines below. Failure to follow this process will lead to delays in the approval process.
- PI to inform the central Research and Innovation Development Team of the requirement at least three weeks before the deadline (firstname.lastname@example.org). The following details should be provided:
- Funder/Scheme/call (with link to the guidance)
- Submission Deadline
- Internal commitment that has been agreed and by whom (if applicable)
- Copy of the draft proposal or a summary
- A member of the Research and Innovation Development (RID) team will contact you to assist you in drafting the letter. You will be expected to provide the first draft, and the RID team will work with you to refine the letter. At this point the RID team will liaise with the DVC’s PA to arrange a date for signature.
- Prior to signature, official confirmation of any internal commitment to the proposal, which is covered by the letter, will need to be provided (email from the approver e.g. Head of School).
- One week prior to the deadline, a senior member of the RID Team will undertake a final review prior to forwarding to the DVC’s office for signature.
Templates for letters of support
The link below is to a sharepoint information page and only accessible to UoL staff and students.