At the University of Leeds we want our research to impact lives and help make the world a better place. One route to do this is through influencing policy development by informing and challenging policymakers with strong research evidence and ideas.
Research is most likely to have policy impact when it is timely, relevant, accessible, of good quality, and where a trusted relationship has been developed between researchers and policymakers. We are supporting researchers at the University of Leeds develop the knowledge, skills and relationships to effectively engage with policymakers. Our aim is to strengthen the influence and impact of research from across the University of Leeds on policy design, delivery and impact at local, national and international levels.
How we can support you
Policy Leeds is a cross University initiative to support policy engagement, it acts as a coordinating hub to bring together researchers, policy-makers and practitioner communities in innovative collaborations.
We support policy engagement by:
- Providing a coordinating contact point for requests from external policy actors, helping link them to expertise within the University. Please contact us if you want to be added to our list of policy interested researchers.
- Disseminating information on opportunities for and routes to policy engagement, including fellowships and placements, inquiries or calls for expertise, events and training opportunities. All of this information is available via the Engaged Research team in Microsoft Teams, please contact us to be added.
- Promoting the policy engagement undertaken across the University of Leeds, working closely with Public Affairs and other communication colleagues. Please get in touch to find out how we can support you getting your message out to policy actors.
- Supporting meetings and events that bring together researchers and the policy community. Please contact us if you would like to work with us to develop an event.
- Providing bespoke service of guidance for those wanting to develop their policy engagement, including advice on building in policy engagement to research proposals and support for developing policy notes and briefings.
Impact and coaching training
The Organisational Development and Professional Learning (OD&PL) team provides a variety of training to support research impact, including policy engagement. For impact resources connected to policy, please visit the Policy impact webpage. Ged Hall can also provide one-to-one coaching.
Leeds Social Sciences Institute
The Leeds Social Sciences Institute (LSSI) is a cross-University platform that is committed to championing the social sciences and fostering collaborations that can produce ‘research with impact’.
- supporting the policy and public engagement activities of the LSSI
- support academics interested in engaging with local, national or even international policy communities or keen to explore opportunities for research-informed public engagement.
Impact Support Professionals
There are many other impact support professionals based in the University’s Schools and Faculties that may be able to support policy engagement activities.
Please contact us to be put in touch with the most appropriate person.