The Global Research Development Team supports existing international research collaborations and identifies opportunities for the development of new research partnerships using knowledge of research at Leeds and the international research landscape. We oversee the promotion of the BEIS Newton Fund Programme and Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), including supporting the development of applications, advising on delivery partner priorities, and managing the University’s internal allocation of QR GCRF funding. The team scopes future funding opportunities in order to ensure the long term sustainability of international research projects.
Head of Global Research Development
International Research & Innovation Development Manager (Americas)
- Intelligence on shared research and innovation priorities for the UK and Americas region;
- Intelligence on funding opportunities to support research and innovation collaborations in the Americas region, for the purposes of scaling up existing projects and catalysing new activity;
- Support for proposals to the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) and Newton Fund, including advice on ODA compliance.
International Research & Innovation Development Manager (Asia)
- Support for existing research connections and potential international research strategic partnerships in the Asia region;
- Intelligence on in-country Research & Innovation (R&I) priorities for the Asia region;
- Intelligence on funding opportunities for R&I collaborations in the Asia region for the purposes of scaling up existing projects and catalysing new activity;
- Support for proposals to the Newton Fund, including bespoke advice on ODA compliance;
- Support for applications to overseas funding agencies and bi-lateral funds, including Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), and UKRI Fund for International Collaboration (FIC);
- Coordination of overseas visits where the focus is on R&I activity.
International Projects Coordinator (WUN & Cheney Fellowships)
- Coordination of the University’s activities with members from the Worldwide Universities Network
- Coordination of the Cheney Fellowship Programme
- Monitoring of internal pump-priming funds, e.g. QR GCRF, Rapid Response Fund, Strategic Research Partnerships Fund
- Tracking research outputs and preparing internal and external reports
- Coordination of internal and external visits where the focus is on R&I activity
- Commissioning publicity materials